NICE has published NICE Guideline (NG) 77 on Cataracts in adults: management.
Cataracts cause visual impairment of various levels due to changes in the opacity of the crystalline lens of the eye. They are associated with decreased quality of life as it affects a person’s ability to carry out daily activities and increases the risk of accidents. Cataracts are usually a result of biological ageing, but they can also occur in children—NB NG77 does not cover patients who are under 18 years of age.
The guideline contains recommendations on:
- patient information
- referral for cataract surgery
- preoperative assessment and biometry
- preventing wrong lens implant errors
- surgical timing and technique
- preventing and managing complications
- postoperative assessment.