This website is intended for healthcare professionals only
Print outs are available to registered users. Please log in or register.
British guideline on the management of asthma in adolescents
The British Thoracic Society & Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network
- Adolescents are defined by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as young people between the ages 10 and 19 years of age.
- Key elements of working effectively with adolescents in the transition to adulthood include:
- seeing them on their own, separate from their parents/carers, for part of the consultation, and
- discussing confidentiality and its limitations
Prevalence of asthma in adolescents
- Asthma is common in adolescents but is frequently undiagnosed because of under-reporting of symptoms
- Clinicians seeing adolescents with any cardiorespiratory symptoms should consider asking about symptoms of asthma
Rotherham Primary Ear Care Centre and Audiology Services, The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust