The development of these Guidelines videos has been supported by an educational grant from Allergan plc. Allergan plc had no influence on the content of these Guidelines videos and checked them for technical accuracy only. See bottom of page for full disclaimer.
In this Guidelines video, Fiona Chiu (Associate Chief Pharmacist, Strategy, Procurement and Satellite Services, Pharmacy Department, Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust) covers:
- the presentation of chalazion (meibomian cyst) as a firm, round lump in the upper or lower eyelid
- the symptoms of the condition, which include eyelid tenderness and swelling
- its association with lid margin diseases such as blepharitis, acne, and rosacea
- the initial treatment with eyelid massage and a warm compress.
View other Guidelines videos in this series:
- Management of common eye conditions: introduction
- Glaucoma and the #knowyourdrops campaign
- The diagnosis and treatment of stye
- The symptoms, causes, and treatment of episcleritis
- Subconjunctival haemorrhage
- The causes and treatment of corneal abrasion
- Corneal and subtarsal foreign bodies
- The symptoms and treatment of dry eye
- Conjunctivitis—causes, symptoms, and management
- The symptoms and management of blepharitis
The development of this Guidelines video has been supported by an educational grant from Allergan plc. Allergan plc had no influence over the content of the video, and checked the final files for technical accuracy only. At all times, editorial control has remained with the presenter and MGP. Stock images were obtained from Science Photo Library.