The Scottish Government has published Achieving excellence in pharmaceutical care: a strategy for Scotland. The strategy aims to transform the role of pharmacy across all areas of pharmacy practice, increase capacity, and offer the best person-centred care. It sets out the priorities, commitments, and actions for improving and integrating pharmacy and pharmacy services in Scotland.
Two main priorities are identified within the strategy:
- Improving NHS pharmaceutical care:
- improvements to NHS pharmaceutical care services across Scotland
- delivering safer use of medicines for the people of Scotland
- Enabling NHS pharmaceutical care transformation:
- ensuring capability and capacity by further developing the pharmacy workforce
- developing a digitally enabled infrastructure
- planning and delivery requirements for sustainable NHS pharmaceutical care services.
These priorities are supported by 9 commitments and 29 actions that focus on integrating and enhancing the role of pharmacy across all areas of pharmacy practice, increasing capacity, and offering the best person-centred care.