Information intended for UK healthcare professionals only.
The production and printing of this Guidelines summary card has been commissioned by Novo Nordisk Ltd. Novo Nordisk Ltd has reviewed the card for technical accuracy and regulatory compliance and supplied the prescribing information. This summary card only displays the concise guidance; readers are strongly advised to refer to the full guidance at www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta664.
Saxenda® (liraglutide 3mg): NICE TA664
1.1 Liraglutide is recommended as an option for managing overweight and obesity alongside a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity in adults, only if:
- they have a body mass index (BMI) of at least 35 kg/m2 (or at least 32.5 kg/m2 for members of minority ethnic groups known to be at equivalent risk of the consequences of obesity at a lower BMI than the white population) and
- they have non-diabetic hyperglycaemia (defined as a haemoglobin A1c level of 42 mmol/mol to 47 mmol/mol [6.0% to 6.4%] or a fasting plasma glucose level of 5.5 mmol/litre to 6.9 mmol/litre) and
- they have a high risk of cardiovascular disease* based on risk factors such as hypertension and dyslipidaemia and
- it is prescribed in secondary care by a specialist multidisciplinary tier 3 weight management service[A] and
- the company provides it according to the commercial arrangement.
*high risk of cardiovascular disease based on risk factors such as hypertension and dyslipidaemia (defined as a total cholesterol level of >5 mmol/L, or systolic blood pressure of >140 mmHg, or a high-density lipoprotein level of <1.0 mmol/L for men and <1.3 mmol/L for women).
1. NICE. Liraglutide for managing overweight and obesity. NICE Technology Appraisal Guidance 664. NICE, December 2020. www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta664
When NICE recommends a treatment, the NHS must make sure it is available to those people it could help, normally within 3 months of the guidance being issued.
The production and printing of this Guidelines summary card has been commissioned by Novo Nordisk Limited. Novo Nordisk Limited has reviewed the card for technical accuracy and regulatory compliance and supplied the prescribing information. This summary card only displays the concise guidance; readers are strongly advised to refer to the full guidance at www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta664
©NICE 2020 Technology Appraisal 664: Liraglutide for managing overweight and obesity. Available from: www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta664. All rights reserved. Subject to notice of rights.
NICE guidance is prepared for the National Health Service in England. All NICE guidance is subject to regular review and may be updated or withdrawn. NICE accepts no responsibility for the use of its content in this publication.
MGP Ltd owns copyright of the Guidelines brand, logo, and the design and format of this summary card.
The views and opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Novo Nordisk Limited, or of Guidelines, its publisher, advisers, or advertisers.
Adverse events should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA YellowCard in the Google Play or Apple App Store. Adverse events should also be reported to Novo Nordisk Limited (Telephone Customer Care Centre 0845 6005055). Calls may be monitored for training purposes.