This section is part 3 of the PHE UK immunisation schedule.
- Five doses of diphtheria, tetanus and polio vaccines at the appropriate interval should ensure long-term protection through adulthood (although additional doses may be indicated for travel or following potential exposure to the disease). Individuals who have not completed the five doses should have their remaining doses at the appropriate intervals.
- Where there is an unclear history of vaccination, adults should be assumed to be unimmunised. A full course of diphtheria, tetanus, and polio vaccine should be offered to individuals of any age in line with advice contained in the relevant chapters.
- It is never too late in life to start a course of vaccination.
- Measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine should be offered to all young adults who have not received two doses as outlined in Chapter 21, Chapter 23 and Chapter 28. In particular, vaccine status should be checked for all women of child bearing age who should be offered MMR to prevent rubella in pregnancy.
- In addition, up to the age of 25 years, meningococcal ACWY vaccine should be offered to individuals who have never received a MenC-containing vaccine (see Chapter 22) and human papillomavirus should be offered to unvaccinated females (see Chapter 18a).
- Older adults (65 years and older) should routinely be offered a single dose of pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine if they have not previously received it.
- Annual influenza vaccination should be offered from 65 years of age.
- Adults aged 70 years, and older individuals who have become eligible since the start of the shingles programme in September 2013, remain eligible until their 80th birthday. More information on shingles vaccine eligibility is available from the shingles vaccination programme.
full guideline available from…
Public Health England. UK immunisation schedule: the green book, chapter 11. April 2019.
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
First included: May 2019.
PHE UK immunisation schedule (Green Book chapter 11)
- Currently reading
Adult immunisation programme